Here’s a quick list of what I’ve been up to in the last 30 days.
Challenge I conquered …or at least survived
I completed the The Whole30 Challenge! I may expand on this in a later post, but here it is in a nutshell. For 30 days, no grains, no sugar, no alcohol, no legumes, no dairy, no preservatives. You can eat meats, fruits, veggies, healthy oils, nuts, seeds, ghee, and various types of vinegar. It’s essentially hardcore Paleo.
Is it hard? Yes! Is it worth it? Yes! Results are different for everybody, but for me, I lost 9.5 pounds and gained +2 in focus. So if you’re looking for a good challenge with a ton of benefits, I would recommend giving Whole30 a try.
A few good articles
freeCodeCamp – Nothing will change until you start building.
Naked Security – BASIC turns 53 – find out just how cool that is!
Hacker Noon – This Is How We Win Everyday
Benjamin Hardy – This Morning Routine will Save You 20+ Hours Per Week
Books I read
Meditations by Marcus Aurelius – Started with this version of the book, but soon after was recommended to try Gregory Hay’s translation. –I’m glad I did.
Getting Started with Raspberry Pi – I’ve been tinkering with the Pi for a few years now, so I’m already pretty familiar with it. I got this book as part of a Arduino & Raspberry Pi Humble Bundle, so….I read it. Lots of really useful information in there.
Click worthy links!
Looking for a new book to read? – This website will show you the first page of a random book without revealing the title, author, or cover until the end.
Ambient Mixer – Want some ambient sounds to kick back to? Check out this site. Here are the sounds of Winterfell, High Garden, and King’s Landing.
What I watched
New podcasts I am listening to
The Kevin And Ryan Show – I listen to almost anything Kevin Rose puts out into the universe, because it’s almost always interesting. This is his latest show that he co-hosts with Ryan Carson. Seems like they are off to a good start.
Waking Up with Sam Harris – You either love Sam Harris or you hate him. So far, I am loving him. Always fascinating topics, interesting guests, mixed with a bit of controversy.
What I’m playing
Empire of the Sun – Got dragged, kicking and screaming, to see this band at the Blue Hills Bank Pavilion. Now I can’t stop listening to them! CURSE YOU!
Twiddle – Stumbled across these guys while looking at the list of bands performing at the Levitate Music Festival. A few Spotify clicks later and now I’m hooked. These guys can jam.
What I learned
The basic syntax of Java courtesy of CodeAcademy – My daughter is learning Java in college so I thought I’d learn the basic syntax of the language. CodeAcademy is always a good starting place.
What I bought
The Fitbit Charge 2 – Loving it, especially for sleep tracking.
What I CREATED!!
I made the switch…
I canceled my Spotify account (and my Google Play Music account before that) and I’m now using Amazon Prime Music. Here’s why – I find that I listen to the same 200 songs, over and over and over again. Spotify has a much better music discovery system than Amazon Music, but I just don’t use it. I already pay for Amazon Prime and, seriously, 80% of the songs I listen to are included with it. The other 20% I bought (DRM free mind you). So I’m saving 10 bucks a month and listening to the exact same music.
After years and years of happily using LibreOffice, OpenOffice, Scrivener, and Google Docs, I finally found myself back in the clutches of Microsoft Office. Here’s why – I am doing a lot more creative writing these days and I need something full featured and cross platform. Scrivener, as awesome as it is, does not play well across Windows and Mac (and not at all on Linux). I’m also not a huge fan of the interface. LibreOffice/OpenOffice excel across all platforms, but they are just not quite as robust and feature rich as Word. As for Google Docs, I’ve never been a fan of doing serious writing in a browser, but that’s just me. And lastly, I started using OneNote for project notes. I’m a heavy Evernote user and I find that a lot of people compare the two, but I think there is enough room in one’s toolbox for both of these apps.
Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?
source: bill wurtz
source: Consolia Comics